Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

On September 5, 2004 03:31 pm, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 14:22 -0300, Stephen Cormier wrote:
> > You are correct I offer up my sincerest apology. My memory must be
> > failing me it was Matthew Palmer and it was a truck. Still not
> > impressive for someone with a @debian.org address.
>
> Ingo and Goswin, amongst others, have a long history of antagonising
> people with @debian.org addresses.  A lot of us have tried to work
> with them in the past and simply given up (cf. my demand that Goswin
> files bug reports or contacts me through a third party from now on).

There is no justification that can be made for the sentiment echoed in
that mail so I do not see how you can even make one. And since you
brought Goswin into this I will tell you what I see from where I am
sitting, despite the ridicule and abuse that is directed at him he is
still here every day trying to help people and contribute to the
project so that has to tell you at least a little bit about his
character even if he has rubbed you the wrong way.

> Though they're both technically competent, they unfortunately aren't
> as skilled at interacting with other people.  Being able to work with
> others is a major part of working in Debian, and being a sufficiently
> amiable person that others feel they can work with you is just as
> important.

Now that is a specious line of reasoning  if I ever heard one there are
surely DD at this very moment in the project who have the same problem
at least judging from the amount of complaints I see rolling into my
inbox one or two of them have to be valid. You admit they are competent
to do the job so the only difference between them and a DD with the
same problem is the DD is already in and there is nothing that can be
done about it, while they are on the outside looking in and are SOL
along with everyone else who can be helped by their contributions to
the project. This of course assumes that they indeed have a problem of
which I have yet to made a judgement on although I am leaning in their
favor just based on their sticking to it and trying to contribute no
matter what road blocks are throw in their way, it seems to be a
character flaw of mine to root for the underdog.

> Scott

Stephen
--
Debian the choice of a GNU generation.