Re: The unofficial buildd effort and its shutdown - my POV

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

> Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2004.bluespice.org> writes:
>
>> True, there's no formal process for people like me, although I proposed some
>> ideas for something like that some time ago, but that was put down as any
>> other idea, most likely by the same people that are now yelling loudly about
>> trust. It was put down for reasons like "That's nonsense! That can't be
>> done. Shut up, moron! If you want, become a DD!"
>
> So... I'm a little confused.  What do you mean "there's no formal
> process for people like me"?  The NM process certainly allows for
> things other than package maintenance.  What about you is not covered
> by the existing process?

How about nothing? The NM process realy doesn't apply to someone
willing to contribute resources (like a system so that a DD can run a
buildd):

- He doesn't need to know the Social Contract or DFSG.
- He doesn't need a gpg key since he never signs anything.
- He doesn't need to know about packagin or about running Debian at
  all. The host sytem doesn't even have to be debian.
- He doesn't need to read the Debian Policy, Developers' Reference,
  New Maintainers' Guide, etc.
- Does he need an Advocate? Hmm, maybe. I guess the DD that then
  actually runs the buildd would be a good Advocate.

So for the NM checklist we have 4 times unneeded and one maybe while
the NM process requires all of them.

All a buildd host admin needs is trust from Debian not to screw Debian.

>> Yes, and right now it seems as if the unofficials buildds are being not
>> accepted. I don't want to have stress because I'm not trusted as some people
>> thing, so I stopped the buildds (actually they had network problems and were
>> offline at that time and I just didn't start the daemon again ;)
>
> It sounds like you stopped the buildd's because you chose to, not
> because you were told to.  You seemed to me to take a few people's
> discussion as determinative.  I have no particular opinion about the
> substance of the matter, but your action seemed premature to me.

No, two quite influencial people said to stop it. Read the thread to
find out who. The discussions on irc were even more hostile but from
less important people.

MfG
        Goswin