Re: Environment variables for Debian (e.g. JAVA_HOME, etc)

Matthew Palmer wrote:

Symlinks, I would imagine, or maybe unfutzing Java to the point where it's
binaries can live in the same playground with the other children.

Rather than bemoaning the Debian Way, perhaps you could explain why Java has
this need to be so incredibly different?

Because little Java lived in its own WORA world and didn't get to play much with the other kids. And the parents liked it that way.

Added to that, what happens if
there's a deb that packages some .jar ? (ex: junit). How to tell the java
system to recognize the deb so that users don't have to export CLASSPATH
themselves ? once again, w/o env. variables, I don't see how the java system
could be useable right away.

Again, fix Java so that it has a regular include path system, like every
other sane programming language out there.  I can't really see any reason
why Java has to be gratuitously incompatible with the normal way, and I've
never seen a good rationale from Java people why the normal way is so badly
broken.

I think the core issue is that Java tries to be everything to everyone, and among other things, it tries to be a platform of its own.

And that means that Sun reinvents wheels for their Java platform that have been already done right on the native platforms. Ocassionally, Sun ends up with square pegs instead of wheels[1]. Then they make an industry standard out of them. :)

cheers,
dalibor topic

[1] On some platforms, square pegs[2] are better than what they have as 'wheels' natively.
[2] Swing beats programming in MFC, I hope.