Re: Environment variables for Debian (e.g. JAVA_HOME, etc)

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 07:40:27AM +0200, Sami Dalouche wrote:
> Once again let's look at java packages. In order to correctly use a JDK, you
> need to have the /usr/j2sdk/bin directory in your path. As far as I saw,
> make-jpkg doesn't create wrappers for every executable in /usr/lib/j2sdk/bin,
> nor does it create symlinks to /usr/bin/ for them.
>
> So, even after installing the .deb, java is not useable right away. Solutions :
>  - export PATH=$PATH:/usr/j2sdk/bin
>  - for i in /usr/j2sdk/bin/* ; do ln -s $i /usr/bin/ ; done
>  - create a wrapper script for every executable
>  - others ?
>
> So, what's the debian way of doing things ?

Symlinks, I would imagine, or maybe unfutzing Java to the point where it's
binaries can live in the same playground with the other children.

Rather than bemoaning the Debian Way, perhaps you could explain why Java has
this need to be so incredibly different?

> Added to that, what happens if
> there's a deb that packages some .jar ? (ex: junit). How to tell the java
> system to recognize the deb so that users don't have to export CLASSPATH
> themselves ? once again, w/o env. variables, I don't see how the java system
> could be useable right away.

Again, fix Java so that it has a regular include path system, like every
other sane programming language out there.  I can't really see any reason
why Java has to be gratuitously incompatible with the normal way, and I've
never seen a good rationale from Java people why the normal way is so badly
broken.

And people wonder why I don't like Java...

- Matt