Re: Depending on kernel >= 2.6

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 12:15:09 -0400, Andres Salomon <dilinger@voxel.net> said:

> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 10:34:16 -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote: [...]
>>
>> - How can I mark a package to depend on having kernel 2.6 or
>>   higher?
>> Even more, how can I make it build-depend on it? (If I am not
>> mistaken, I will only need a kernel 2.6.x installed in order to
>> build, even though the system can be running 2.4.x)

> Build-dep on linux-kernel-headers.  This package contains 2.6 kernel
> headers for glibc to use, and contains epoll stuff.

	This sounds horrbly wrong. I can run a new libc on an 2.4.2x
 kernel; so what exactly is the application looking for? Does it need
 actuall functionality in 2.6.x kernels? In which case this solution
 is wrong.

	If it does not need actual functionality from 2.6.x kernels,
 why is it looking for headers for the new kernel? If there are a few
 defines and macros that it needs from some header files, why not just
 copy that into the sources as needed?

	manoj
--
If it pours before seven, it has rained by eleven.