Re: Depending on kernel >= 2.6

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 17:28:21 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 01:17:15PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
>
>> *blink*.  It's 2.6 only.  If it exists, it means glibc contains 2.6 kernel
>> headers.  If it doesn't exist, it means it's an older glibc, containing
>> 2.4 kernel headers.  It doesn't sound very unnecessary to me.  The other
>> alternative is a versioned glibc build-dep, but this just seems easier.
>
> linux-kernel-headers does not provide any interfaces for general use.
> Packages should not directly rely on anything it provides, and therefore
> build-dependencies on it are doubly inappropriate.

I apologize, you're right; kernel headers should be included in the
package, not pulled from /usr/include/linux.  I made the assumption that
by libc6-dev breaking out linux-kernel-headers (heh, and not calling it,
say, libc6-kernel-headers or something), they were fair game for
userspace.  Its README.Debian disagrees, however.