Re: Depending on kernel >= 2.6

On Thursday 02 September 2004 18.34, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Cherokee has two ways of working,
> one designed for most Unix-like systems, and one that uses features
> unique to Linux 2.6.x (epoll). I will need to build both versions,

Why? I expect that by the time etch is released, kernel 2.6 is basically
ubiquitous, so I think it's sensible to only provide the 2.6-enabled binary
as a Debian package. Perhaps just make it easy to build for kernel 2.4 in
the source package for those who want it (and point to it in
README.Debian.) This is just MHO, obviously.

> - How can I mark a package to depend on having kernel 2.6 or higher?

You can't. Test it in postinst and warn the user if an older kernel is
detected.

>   Even more, how can I make it build-depend on it? (If I am not

If your package requires specifc kernel headers, including them in the
source package is the Right Way To Do It[tm], IIRC.

greetings
-- vbi

--
The content of this message may or may not reflect the opinion of me, my
employer, my girlfriend, my cat or anybody else, regardless of the fact