Re: Unofficial buildd network has been shut down

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:09:48PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I have no idea. That's a script's job - pairing off basic blocks with
> > source sequences. If you have any left over, or any that don't match
> > the source, something funky is going on, and you go figure it out by
> > hand.
>
> Alas, that'll fail with a fancy optimizing compiler (like GCC), which
> freely rearranges basic blocks, changing how many there are and the
> like.

No, really, I've done it before. "Basic blocks" are just the unit of
reference for binaries.

Writing a compiler that takes C source and generates a working binary
is easy. Writing a compiler that takes source code and finds a
quasi-optimal binary to express it is hard. Writing a program that
takes source code and a binary and compares them for equality, under
the semantic rules of C, is easy (for a given compiler and target
platform; doing it for all compilers and target platforms at once is
hard).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |