Re: Unofficial buildd network has been shut down

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 02:18:55PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> writes:
>
> > It's a cute idea, that gets a lot of attention from uninformed people,
> > but it can't work in practice. I for one should have noticed if gcc
> > were miscompiling itself in such a fashion - there would be a big
> > chunk of inexplicable code.
>
> Where would that code exist?  The point of Ken Thompson's paper is
> that the code is never found in the source.  Do you actually look at
> gcc binaries and make sure there are no extra functions in them?  How
> would you notice?

I would notice because there would be too much code in the binary;
it's reasonably easy to verify with some simple automation. It would
require hundreds of instructions to do something like this, which
would have no corresponding source code. Yes, on occasion I have dug
into gcc binaries while debugging modifications to gcc.

I wasn't actually looking for this sort of thing, so I can't be sure
offhand - but thinking back, there are a couple of occasions where I
*should* have noticed something that was present in the binary and not
the source (automated matching of source to binary and tracking the
effects of my changes; gcc itself makes a good test case).

It would not be difficult to vary the technique and ensure there are
no such things hiding in the file. I don't believe in conspiracies so
large that they could stop some random perl script from spotting the
hidden code; the sheer *quantity* of hidden trojans you'd need would
make them rather easy to spot.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |