Upstream/In archive + backport changelog handling

Blah. I've currently got myself into the situation with
FreeRADIUS where I've got the debian/changelogs from the
following versions to maintain:
upstream CVS HEAD
upstream CVS release_1_0 (current stable release)
	These both have revision -0
Debian unstable+testing (based on release_1_0)
and I have a terrible feeling that if any security updates
appear during the life of sarge, that'll add a fourth.
	These two are revisions > -0

The question/issue is, what do I do with the various forks
of changelog records... The Debian packages have information
in the changelogs such as the removal of non-DFSG elements
from the tarball, which I'm not sure are appropriate in the
upstream CVS/releases...

Should I just treat the Debian archive's debian/ directory
as a fork from upstream (a fork from my _own_ efforts??) and
only record -0 stuff in upstream? I have a feeling this is the
best way to go, but I've just noticed that I was importing the
full Debian debian/changelog into the upstream debian/changelog
until now. >_< This also means I have to be careful to not lose
old changelog records in new upstream releases coming into Debian.

And this runs counter to my plans to keep upstream and Debian's
debian/ directory as similar as possible.

I'm also terribly afraid of breaking the rule about retroactively
editing changelogs. ^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.