Re: Upstream/In archive + backport changelog handling

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 04:23:01PM +1000, Paul Hampson wrote:

> Should I just treat the Debian archive's debian/ directory
> as a fork from upstream (a fork from my _own_ efforts??) and
> only record -0 stuff in upstream? I have a feeling this is the
> best way to go, but I've just noticed that I was importing the
> full Debian debian/changelog into the upstream debian/changelog
> until now. >_< This also means I have to be careful to not lose
> old changelog records in new upstream releases coming into Debian.
>
> And this runs counter to my plans to keep upstream and Debian's
> debian/ directory as similar as possible.
>
> I'm also terribly afraid of breaking the rule about retroactively

IMHO maintaining in the same CVS, upstream and debian-related stuff
is a bad idea. You do risk to be out of sync in a way or another.
You should package starting from distributed tarball, and removing
all debian and CVS stuff if needed.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine