Re: Help with fetchmail bug #268228

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 05:35:01AM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> so the real problem is, as in the bug report, when the user purges the
> -common package (which will be in state 'removed') *after* the
> transition split packages ==> single packages has happened.

Yes, I neglected to mention this the first time. Thanks for pointing it
out.

I guess there are a few things to consider about all of the options
below. Does the solution fix the problem for users current without a
fetchmail user? Does the solution

>   (a) re-introduce the fetchmail-common package as a dummy package,
>   and make the fetchmail package (versioned) depend on it.

The problem that I see with this one is that the user would then have to
have the fetchmail-common package installed. Which is not so terrible,
since that is how the situation is for woody.

>   (b) re-introduce the fetchmail-common package, make the fetchmail
>   package conflict with fetchmail-common << 6.2.5 or so and put in the
>   f-common description somethink like:  "Dummy package to help
>   transition from woody. You may safely purge this package once it has
>   been installed."

This seems like the most reasonable of all solutions. Once we release
etch with the fetchmail-common package, I can remove it from the package
in sid. The only problem would be that upgrades from woody to etch could
have the same issue; I don't see that as a problem, since I don't think
we support upgrades that skip a distribution.

> all have their pros and cons, and perhaps the original init.d one,
> being uglier, is more robust that these ones.

What other cons do you see with option B?

--
gram