Re: USB Corless Mouse Not working in X

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:45:57 +0100, Werner Otto <werner.otto@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks allot the modprobe mousedev command works like a charm. Is
> > there any way that I can run this command when the system starts up?
> >
> > [...]
> just add a line to /etc/modules saying "mousedev", that will autoload
> the module on startup.

Shouldn't this be loaded by default if a mouse input device is present?

After a fresh Debian install (hardware autodetection works like a charm
now) and having gone through the pains of setting up XFree86, a regular
user cannot be expected to guess that in order to use the USB mouse
(which he selected during X config and for which modules were loaded by
hotplug) he still has to manually load a kernel module called
'mousedev'.

Lately, I've been installing Debian on some friends' desktop computers,
and they would have made it through most of the install process by
themselves, except for silly little things like this... maybe this is a
bug?

Sebastian