Re: depend on httpd, not also apache?

On Monday 30 August 2004 02:47 pm, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:39:47 +0200, Sebastian Ley
> <sebastian.ley@mmweg.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> >It is a good idea to explicitly specify at least one package that fulfills a
> >virtual dependency. You could view it as the recommendation of the packager,
> >if you don't care about the httpd daemon, apt will install apache.
>
> How will it choose apache? Will it choose apache because it happens to
> be the alphabetically first httpd? Or is apache somewhere configured
> as the primary target httpd?
>
> I think that last time I looked at that issue, a package satisfying
> the dependency was chosen at random.

  I think he means that if you say "Depends: apache | httpd", apt will
choose apache if you don't manually install another httpd.

  Daniel

|               "The problem with LaTeX is that your answers                  |
|                look so good, you think they *must* be right!"               |
|                 -- Thomas Banchoff                                          |
\-Evil Overlord, Inc: planning your future today. http://www.eviloverlord.com-/