Re: depend on httpd, not also apache?

* Dan Jacobson wrote:
> $ grep-available -F Depends "apache | httpd" -s Package -n|wc -l
> 47 packages. But apache provides httpd, as does apache2.
> Should I file bugs against them all to just depend on httpd?

It is a good idea to explicitly specify at least one package that fulfills a
virtual dependency. You could view it as the recommendation of the packager,
if you don't care about the httpd daemon, apt will install apache. You can
still override this upon install time by selecting another httpd daemon of
your choice. And if you already have a different httpd daemon installed, apt
will be happy anyway.

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key: http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/public.key
Fingerprint: A46A 753F AEDC 2C01 BE6E  F6DB 97E0 3309 9FD6 E3E6