Re: Frank Carmickle and Marco Paganini must die

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 03:55:38PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 01:12 -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > There's this completely mindless twit, "Frank Carmickle" subscribed to
> > debian-boot who spams the list with every message he received from it --
> > including his own automated replies, creating a very nasty feedback loop.
> >
> There's also this other completely mindless twist, "Branden Robinson"
                                              ^^^^^

I presume you meant "twit" here (perhaps you are unduly influenced by your
.signature?), so I'll take the insult as I surmise you intended it.

> who abuses debian-devel-announce.

I think the time for mollycoddling braindead C-R systems and spam
"autoresponders" has long since passed.  Expecting all of our list
subscribers to "just press D" or update their procmail rules when the next
brain-dead antispam blitzer comes along unjustly shifts reponsibility from
the sender of garbage emails to the recipients.

We must hold the abusers of our mailing lists to account, or our lists will
become unusable.

If you feel some sort of punishment is due me for my call-to-arms on d-d-a,
then you know where to turn.  Given that our Project Leader has already
spoken derisively to me on this subject, I don't imagine you'll have much
of a hill to climb.

I am willing to accept the judgement of my peers for my actions.  I do find
myself wondering, however, how many people calling for my head seek to hold
Frank Carmickle responsible for his actions, or Marco Paganini for writing
software that could not be bothered to learn from a lesson that was at
least seven years old at the time of his copyright notice[1], let alone
wasn't thought through carefully enough to avoid it in the first place.

[1] http://web.bilkent.edu.tr/Online/Jargon30/JARGON_A/ARMM.HTML
    (...among many other links)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Life is what happens to you while
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     you're busy making other plans.