Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

On 28-Aug-04, 03:07 (CDT), Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> I do wish people would pay attention to messages that they are actively
> replying to.

I wish people would provide actual arguments rather than bickering over
trivialaties.

Mr. Bushnell has stated that although "i.e." and "e.g.", there are
reasons to prefer "that is" and "for example", especially when the
target audience is not necessarily all native English speakers. He has,
to my mind, provided reasonable justifications for this argument.

You have provided no arguments as to why "i.e." and/or "e.g" should
be the preferred form. You have, however, demonstrated a talent for
incorrect nit-picking.

> When you say "any style guide", you mean several.
> I was asking reference*s*, not *a* reference.

He's already one up on you. Please provide a reference to a legitimate,
current, widely used style guide that prefers "i.e." over "that is" or
"e.g." over "for example".

Or better yet, let it drop. Nobody is proposing filing RC bug reports
against "i.e." or "e.g." At most, we'd be stating that Debian package
long descriptions should avoid them, and they can be cleaned up when you
next work on the package for other reasons.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net