Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files for each section

Am 2004-08-26 20:11:02, schrieb Daniel Ruoso:
> Hi,

> Today, the downloading and processing of the entire packages file is a
> problem both for low-bandwidth users and for low-specs computers. In
> fact, the download of the packages file for a modem user can take ~ 15
> minutes, and the processing of this file by apt can take hours on a 486
> 55Mhz with 8Mb RAM and 45Mb swap (self experience, actually I had to
> cancel the processing after two or three hours).

Sorry, but OK, even SID works on a 386dx40 with 16 MB but who use
it realy ?

The 486 area is finished...
Same for P1/K5

I think, the limit for WOODY is a P1/200 or K6/200 and for
SARGE a PII/333 or K6-II/350

Now ETCH...

> <CONTENTS FILE="sources.list">
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main (base,gnome,...)
> </CONTENTS>
>
> This is backward-compatible too, if the sections parameter (between
> parenthesis) is not present, then it would download the big Packages
> file.

But if a $USER choose base, gnome how can they handle Dependencies ?

If you choose (gnome), 'apt-get update' must know, that they need base,
libs, x11... too

A simpel installation on my WOODY-Workstation need 23/28 and on my
SID-Workstation 25/33 Sections.

There is no difference downloading singel "Sections" or the whole
Packages.bz2

> Waiting for your comments,
>
> daniel

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi