Re: Is this a serious bug?

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 02:01:01PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> Hello
>
> I saw this serious bug, #268068, in the package backuppc. As I'm
> maintainer of wwwconfig-common I really want to know if this is
> a release critical bug or not. I assume that it is not but I need
> to know. Because if it is then most packages that depend on
> wwwconfig-common will have RC bugs in them, including my own.

The maintainer MUST ask whether to modify any apache config, it's not
wwwconfig-common's fault that it doesn't do that itself, but any package
using wwwconfig-common to mangle httpd.conf (which is deprecated anyway,
but that's besides this point) MUST ask before doing so. Maybe I didn't
pay attention enough, but most packages I encountered did ask during
configure time which apache flavours to install the package for, and
this is IMHO sufficient asking for permission to mangle httpd.conf.
A package not asking this, however, is IMHO broken.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl