Re: PROPOSAL - REFORMULATED - Create alternative Packages files for each section

Otavio Salvador wrote:

>Other possibility and better, IMHO, is provide alternative Packages
>files but at first time all will be get and then only which had
>changes.
>
>This can solve the dependencies problems and the processing time can
>be smaller since you can process only the changed packages file.
>
>What all thinks about?

Just have Packages{,.gz,bz2} as we have now, plus files like

Packages-2004-08-24.bz2
Packages-2004-08-23.bz2
Packages-2004-08-22.bz2
Packages-2004-08-14.bz2

Each one of these Package files would just be composed of a diff (not a
literal `diff` :) between the prev. day's Packages and the next. Then
apt would just keep track what date it downloaded last.

The only problem that could arise is if the full Packages file is not up
to sync (for example, a day old). To work around this, full Packages
downloads should also download the latest Packages-`date -u -I`.bz2
files and use that package's date as a reference date.

Since this feature would not be used by all people, but would be very
handy for others, this should be implemented as an option turned off by
default.

Any opinions?

- Adam

--
Building your applications one byte at a time
http://www.galacticasoftware.com