Noteedit, Finale, and testing
I was just looking at whether to upload noteedit to
testing-proposed-updates. In the process, I hit the noteedit homepage,
and discovered that upstream has apparently abruptly ceased development
and removed his web page because of a potential possible future port of
Finale to Linux.
I am trying to decide between the following options:
(1) Orphan noteedit. (already done, working on QA-maintained uploads now)
(2) Orphan noteedit *and* request its removal from unstable and sarge.
At the moment I'm leaning towards (2). The reasons are:
- due to its wide dependency tree, and particularly its dependency
on tse3 (another troublesome package), noteedit has been a pain
since I took it over.
- major functionality in the program (ie, playing the score I'm
editing) has never worked for me, maybe because I don't have a
sound card with a good MIDI synthesizer.
- I don't use this package; I just typeset music in lilypond.
- I don't want to take over upstream maintainence of noteedit.
Whoever adopts this package will also pretty much have to become
upstream, even if they just stick to fixing bugs.
- There are alternatives in unstable/sarge. I've heard that
rosegarden4 may be better, for instance....although on my
computer it just hangs forever when I start it. In addition, I
think that Rosegarden is unlikely to suddenly replace its
homepage with a message saying "because ot [sic] the upcoming
Finale port the RoseGarden development ends here."
- I don't think Debian should be shipping abandonware in stable
If someone wants to step up and take over Debian *and upstream*
maintainence for noteedit, please let me know in the near future; if
there are users who really need noteedit, please let me know. If I
don't hear from either group in the "near" future, I will file a bug
against ftp.debian.org requesting the noteedit be removed from both
unstable and sarge.
I will continue to maintain tse3, so noteedit will be buildable on
(please include me or debian-devel in replies, as I am not presently
subscribed to debian-user)
/-------------------- Daniel Burrows <firstname.lastname@example.org> -------------------\
| "But what *does* kill me bloody well leaves me dead!" |
| -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_ |
\---------------------- A duck! -- http://www.python.org ---------------------/