Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-devel@pipeline.com> schrieb:

>> > Where would any empty files come from?
>>
>> How should a package tell dpkg to install an empty file, if it needs
>> that?
>>
>> Regards, Frank
> Hi Frank,
> man touch

Which does not help in this context. The question was: "How can files
that are (perhaps) created by maintainer scripts be registered to dpkg?",
and one answer was: "By including them in the deb as empty files".

But this would have the consequence that all those files would have to
be created by dpkg, and clutter /etc. I had understood from John's
question that he wanted dpkg just to ignore empty files, except that it
registers them for the package. But this would make it impossible for a
package to ship an empty file. Indeed, it could create it in a
maintainer script, but that's plain rubbish - change dpkg to do
illogical things, and then work around this in maintainer
scripts. Better find an other way to register those files (there have
been proposals).

Regards, Frank

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie