Re: Common power management infrastructure

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:48:50AM +0200, Bart Samwel wrote:

John Hasler wrote:

To run these enhanced initscripts you need something like the current
runlevel system.

Perhaps you could use the runlevel system itself.  There are plenty of
unused levels.

Doesn't switching runlevels involve stopping all running services from the previous runlevel and then restarting them in the new runlevel?

No. The rc script will only start services that have an S link in the
runlevel you're going to, but not in the runlevel you're coming from. It
will also only kill services that have a K link in the level you're
coming from.

OK, in that case it sounds possible to do this as a runlevel. Unfortunately there are many different state-like things that could work like runlevels. For instance, network interface up/down. If we start doing this as runlevels we're going to have to include runlevels for everything. So, before we start over-engineering this thing I suggest that we keep things simple. Just a couple of directories of scripts that are to be run depending on the state.

--Bart