Re: php4 requires to reinstall all php extensions (mass bugreport)

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 09:41:15AM +0200, Artur R. Czechowski wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to submit a bugreport to all php4 extensions.
>
> Latest php4 (4:4.3.8-5) has introduced new SAPI: cli. All previously
> installed php extensions are not added to /etc/php4/cli/php.ini.
>
> What should be a proper solution for above problem? Well prepared
> config/postinst scripts could detect new SAPI automagically. But is still
> requires extensions to be reinstalled. I suggest a simple sollution: just
> bump up version number for all packages containing php extensions to hint
> users to update those packages.

Well, bumping version number doesn't help. Extensions only change
php.inis on upgrade and dpkg-reconfigure, and php4-cli (or any other
newly installed SAPI) doesn't know how to trigger reconfigures of all
php extensions.

Adam Conrad, PHP maintainer, says this is a known bug, it's a bug in the
php4 package and no the extensions (a proper way to deal with this
should be designed), and it won't be fixed before sarge is released.

By the way, some extensions simply don't support the CLI SAPI yet at
all (php4-interbase for example), which is IMHO something that should be
fixed.

> This problem affects only sarge and sid users - php4 had changed a lot
> since woody (zendapi,phpapi) and all php4 extensions shall be upgraded to
> meet dependency requirements.

This problem _also_ affects woody -> sarge upgrades, upgrading
extensions simply doesn't solve the problem.

If a mass bug filing highly related to a certain package (php4 in this
case), cc'ing those maintainers is usually a good idea.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl