Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 01:38:57PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Steve Greenland writes:
> > Not when the path is explicitly for the package's log files. How else is
> > it supposed to know? Would you prefer that the apache purge did
>
> >	find / -name 'access.log*' | xargs rm
>
>         find $path -name 'access.log*' | xargs rm ; rmdir $path
>
> Remove any files that the package may have created and then attempt to
> remove the directory.

There's the default error.log, too.  And I would imagine that it's not
unheard of for filenames to change mid-stream -- an example of this has
already been given upthread.  If I like the name 'fuckups.log' for my error
log, I use that -- and the package should leave it alone, because it's a
local name.  But then the package maintainer decides he likes that name too,
and makes that the default error log name.  Now, if I purge that new version
of the package, my error log, which I thought was mine and local, gets
removed, and I now have cause for anger.

- Matt