Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:24, Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:58:15PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> > I just purged package apache as part of an upgrade to apache 2.  It
> > removed all the log files!!!
> >
> > Removing log files without asking is unacceptable.
>
> ... and yet mandated by Policy.
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#s10.8

Policy does not mandate "rm -rf" on the entire directory tree.

Removing /var/log/apache/access.log* /var/log/apache/error.log* and attempting
rmdir on /var/log/apache satisfies the requirements of policy.

Removing subdirectories of /var/log/apache and files other than access.log*
and error.log* in /var/log/apache is not required or expected and can only
give a bad result.

If you don't create it then don't remove it!