Re: NEVER remove log files without asking

On 16/08/2004 Steve Greenland wrote:
> [...]
> The trouble is there are two POVs on this, and the package maintainers
> are stuck between them. If they don't remove every last trace of a
> package, including any directories, then they get bugs filed. When they
> fix those bugs, then the other group files bugs.
>
> [...]
> If enough people disagree with this, then we need to change policy so
> that NO log files are to be removed. It's unreasonable to expect package
> maintainers to be able to guess which log files are "important" and
> which aren't, because no choice is going to make everyone, or even a
> majority, happy.

sure, but there's a 'hard' way to go (rm -rf /var/log/<foo>), and a
digressed one (rmdir /var/log/<foo>).

maybe a compromise would be, to disallow logdir removal at purge time,
as long as subdirs exist in it.

this would be a clear policy: if admins want their logs to stay at
packages purge, they have to create own subdirs for this.

anyway, it's a much more common policy than 'store your logs out of
/var/log/<foo> if you want them to be kept'.

It's just reasonable for admins to store apache logs in /var/log/apache,
even if they're manually created.

another solution: add debconf questions about logdir removal at purge
time in packages storing logs.
it is the way many packages currently manage database removal.

bye
 jonas