Re: kdelibs in sid depends libjack0.80.0-0 which depends jackd; see 248665

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
> > No kidding.  I don't see much point for KDE to have anything to do with
> > arts.  If you want to play more than one sound at once, spend $10 and
> > get a sound card worthy of being called such, like a SBLive and not some
> > total piece of shit like pretty much anything involving ac97.
>
> It's non-trivial to add a new sound card to a laptop (no, stuff like the
> Extigy does not count). An SBLive does not provide you with
> network-transparent audio.

Stuff like ALSA provides you with hardware mixing in the proper place if you
really need it (although it probably needs better docs on how to do that).
Stuff like jack could (and maybe it even does) provide you with a NAS
plugin.  We should not need anything else, and the lib hell that is ARTS,
and the equally undesired esound would go to the dark bit bin they deserve.

Of course, that assumes jack is kept sane, and doesn't start acting in
obnoxious ways, like starting jackd for every app that tries to probe if it
should be using jack or not at that moment.

  Henrique Holschuh