Re: Sarge, kernel-image, and i586-SMP

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:51:09PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 04:03:34PM -0400, Steaphan Greene wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know I could compile it on another machine and make a package,
> > I'd just like to not have to.
>
> Why not?

Let me clarify.  It's not that I don't want to compile on another
machine instead of the 586x2 - it's that I don't want to have to
recompile the kernel myself at all.  This machine is supposed to be a
zero maintainence machine, and is the most stable machine (hardware
wise) I've ever owned.  I'd like to just leave it alone and just apt-get
update it every so often.

> > Is there a reason this kernel flavor is ignored (is it just because
> > they are rare?)?
>
> Yes.

Well, I suppose I'm a member of a small enough audience to be ignored.

It would just be nice to see secure support for these older machines,
since one of linux' advantages over the _other_ OSes is that you don't
have to throw a computer away if it's more than 5 years old.

What is it that makes this too difficult to include in the release?  CD
space?  Mirror space?  Maintainer time?  If it's the last, perhaps I can
help with that.

--
Steaphan Greene <sgreene@cs.binghamton.edu>
GPG public key: http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~sgreene/gpg.key.txt