Re: Architecture independent binaries and building from source

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:12:43PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> If a package includes source as well as a platform independent binary
> (any byte-code for example), is it *required* (i.e. policy MUST) that
> the binary be rebuilt from source? To be DFSG free it certainly must
> be possible to rebuild it from source.
>
> My inclination is not to rebuild the binary. If possible I'd prefer to
> redistribute a binary that is byte-for-byte identical with upstream's.
> This, for example, allows a simple md5sum to show that two hosts have
> identical versions of this software.
>
> If rebuilding a platform independent binary from source is a policy
> requirement, I'd appreciate a pointer to the relevant text.

IMO, it is a requirement that it be *possible* to do, given only what is in
the source package and Build-Depends(|-Indep) fields. Actually *doing* it
should only occur if and when it makes sense.

Among other things, it wastes autobuilder time to re-build arch-indep
files on every autobuilder; at the *very* least, if you must compile the
arch-indep pieces, consider making them an Arch: all package that doesn't
build on them.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :