Architecture independent binaries and building from source

If a package includes source as well as a platform independent binary
(any byte-code for example), is it *required* (i.e. policy MUST) that
the binary be rebuilt from source? To be DFSG free it certainly must
be possible to rebuild it from source.

My inclination is not to rebuild the binary. If possible I'd prefer to
redistribute a binary that is byte-for-byte identical with upstream's.
This, for example, allows a simple md5sum to show that two hosts have
identical versions of this software.

If rebuilding a platform independent binary from source is a policy
requirement, I'd appreciate a pointer to the relevant text.

Thanks,
Shaun