Re: libtiff: 4 left (was: libtiff: only 7 packages left!)

I'm really sorry for not replying to this sooner.  I didn't notice
until this morning that, after apt-get dist-upgrade yesterday,
sendmail wasn't working at all.  Someone has already posted an RC bug,
and I have temporarily reverted to the sendmail in sarge.

Here's my reply from yesterday morning.  I'll follow it up with more
details today once I get through all the stuff that never went
out.  I'm sure some but not all of this is now obsolete. :-(

>   On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 02:58:19PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>   [tiff]
>   > which leaves us with gtkhtml, pfaedit, python-gnome, qgis,
>   > quiteinsanegimpplugin, showimg and wdm.
>
>   [o] bugreports filed.
>		  cu andreas

Thanks.  You're right -- I overlooked things that have build
dependencies without having runtime dependencies.  I suppose in this
case the fix will usually be to remove libtiff3g-dev outright rather
than to replace it with libtiff4-dev, unless there are cases where
libtiff or libtiff-dev really are needed to build but not to run.  (I
can imagine cases where this could happen, but they're somewhat
contrived.)

There are also some packages where people rebuilt with libtiff4 but
didn't actually update their build dependencies or still appear to
depend upon libtiff3g for some other reason.  I'm guessing These cases
must have been where people didn't build in a clean environment like
pbuilder.

  dx
  grass (runtime libtiff3g)

.... three hours later ....

I'm not going to have time to finish this analysis for several hours.

The following packages still show up as having Depends (not
Build-Depends) on libtiff3g or libtiff3g-dev:

advi 1.4.0-7
dx 1:4.3.2-2
gnobog 0.4.3-2
grass 5.0.3-5
ivtools 1.1.3-3
k3d 0.4.2.0-1
libimager-perl 0.42-1
pinball 0.3.1-2
pixieplus 0.5.4-2

This list comes from grep-dctrl on my machine, updated today against a
local mirror that could be at most one day behind.  Some of the
packages in this list may be up-to-date, and some may have been
uploaded and not built for i386 or may not have cleared new.  From the
above list, I am almost sure that advi is okay.  I know that dx and
grass are not okay and need to have their RC bugs reopened.  k3d isn't
in sarge.  pinball is stuck waiting for jadetex.  Of the rest, I'm not
sure.  I would check into them before posting this, but that would
delay my post for several hours.  I apologize for sending this in a
not-quite complete state.  In a few hours when I can get back to for a
bit, I'll see what has changed, do a more thorough check, and reopen
bugs as needed.  I'll also incorporate Build-Depends into my automated
checks.

Thanks!

--Jay