Re: Architecture independent binaries and building from source

debsums does not exist on non-Debian systems. md5sum can quickly and
easily show that my BSD system and my Debian system are running the
same version of a Java library if both are distributed with upstream's
architecture independent binary.

As a rule, we don't regenerate all files from source. We don't
generally, for example, regenerate configure (using autoconf) from
configure.ac even though it is possible. No one can sensibly suggest
that a shell script of twenty thousand lines is in source form. I
don't find it necessary to compulsively regenerate configure scripts.
I, likewise, don't find it necessary to regenerate architecture
independent binary distributions.

Cheers,
Shaun