Re: Architecture independent binaries and building from source

Hi,

you wrote:
> If rebuilding a platform independent binary from source is a policy
> requirement, I'd appreciate a pointer to the relevant text.

I addition to Adam Majers summary, some more points:

>From the Policy:

2.1. The Debian Free Software Guidelines:
[...]
     Source Code
          The program must include source code, and must allow distribution
          in source code as well as compiled form.

"source code as well as compiled form" shouldn't mean: "Possibly source
code form, but in this case you also need the binaries at first."

4.8. Main building script: `debian/rules'
     This file must be an executable makefile, and contains the
     package-specific recipes for compiling the package and building binary
     package(s) from the source.
[...]

It is not explicitly stated if the latter means "source package" or
"source code" (point for clarification in Policy?), but since it talks
about "source package" at other places, this could be a piece of
circumstantial evidence that "source code" is meant.

Also consider the hassles we come into when we need to patch upstream
sources; and reliably and automatically checking if packages build from
source.

bye,
  Roland