Re: /bin/sh == bash?

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:14:55PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Selon Roland Stigge <stigge@antcom.de>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently encountered some packages (e.g.
> > fhist: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263997
> > userv: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=263979
> > ) that FTBFS when /bin/sh is not bash, but instead a more POSIX like
> > shell, e.g. dash. See also Policy, 10.4. Scripts.

Note that even if things work with dash, it doesn't really say too much
about POSIX (and hence policy 10.4) compliance, dash has quite a lot of
extensions.  posh is probably the closest thing to POSIX we have in
Debian.  It'll cause quite a lot of scripts to fail though, since it
doesn't support `command -v', which is something we even recommend in
policy.  Imho `command -v' should be explicitly added to Policy 10.4,
alongside the extension we already have there, `echo -n'.

> Doesn't this problem happen in debian/rules? (I can see
> make: *** [install-stamp] Error 1 at the bottom)
>
> In that case, SHELL=/bin/bash at the beginning of debian/rules
> works fine.

Please, usually the non-POSIX stuff is easy to remove, and just papering
over the problems by using SHELL=/bin/bash should only be used as
a solution when no other option seems reasonably possible.

Regards: David weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //