Re: libtiff transition: packages still not done

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> I've just noticed that libtiff doesn't have any versioned symbols. Is
> there any kind of transition for programs that link both directly and
> indirectly to libtiff? Otherwise, we'll start to be in a pain as deep as
> libpng's...

As I understand it, we should be fairly safe in this respect, because
the soname change reflects an ABI change that *already* happened
between 3.5.7 and 3.6.1, so anything in sarge/sid that's linked
against libtiff.so.3 is effectively getting libtiff.so.4 anyway.
There might be issues with global/static variables if the dynamic
linker satisfies some references from the instance labeled "3" and
some from the instance labeled "4", but I think they would only affect
programs that dlopen libtiff-using libraries without RTLD_GLOBAL.

Anything built against 3.5.7 (such as leftovers from woody) that pulls
in a library that's been rebuilt against 4.0 is also going to be in
trouble, but there's no way we can prevent that.

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.