Re: amd64 and sarge

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 07:08:53AM +0200, Xavier Roche wrote:
> Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> >Let's face it, there is not going to be any 32/64 (i.e. bi-arch) Debian
> >release. Ever.
>
> This is going to be really problematic for real world servers IMHO.
> Biarch is the main advantage of opteron over its competitors.

You misquoted him... Sarge will not have biarch/multiarch since it
requires changing several thousand library packages. Sarge+1 will not
have biarch either skipping directly to multiarch.

> >So please quit bitching about it
>
> I'm not bitching at all. I'm just saying that we are again going to
> loose users to other dists that are already ready to support 32/64
> opteron (Gentoo, Mandrake, RedHat, SuSe, .....) and this is an important
> issue.

As is abundantly clear Debian will not be supporting 32/64 until Sarge+1
so this isn't really up for discussion. We will lose many more users by
having no amd64 support at all than to have only 64bit support for it. I
have personally ran Linux servers for years at work and never needed any
commercial software to do it. Of course the commercial apps we did use
all required Solaris and did not support Linux, perhaps this situation
is changing...

Chris