Re: ftp-master support fro Debian pre-versions xx~yy-1 [katie@ftp-master.debian.org: Processing of libpri_1.0~RC1-1_i386.changes]

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:57:29PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> You can't use ~ until after sarge, because otherwise you'll break
> upgrades from woody as apt will choke on seeing that character in the
> Packages file. katie rejects it for this reason.

I've been wondering about whether this is really true. Does apt break
upon seeing the tilde, or do woody's apt & dpkg simply not interpret it
correctly? (I don't have a convenient way to test for breakage, sorry.)

If it's just a case of interpreting correctly, I don't think it's a
problem. Any package in sarge will have a version number greater than
its version number in woody. woody's dpkg would interpret 1.0~pre-1 > 1.0
while sarge's will behave the opposite way. However, none of the version
numbers are going to decrease anyway.

Dependencies on certain versions may be an issue. A dependency on
X (>= 1.0~pre1-1) would be satisfied by 1.0-1 on sarge but not on woody.
We could fix that by changing the depending packages, if 1.0-1 has
already been released.

OTOH we could hurry up and release sarge instead :-)

Hamish