meritocracy (was: Description of tasks)

also sprach Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.cx> [2004.07.17.1904 +0200]:
> Please, stop pushing the absolute democracy. We are not all
> equals. We have never been, we will never be - unless we become
> quite a boring and useless project.

Well, I concur in large part with your well written words. Debian is
not a democracy, and no, true democracies basically don't exist. And
if we want to stick with the term meritocracy, fine by me. I am
grateful to see skilled and capable people in positions in which
they excel.

My main beef is not with the structure or the delegates themselves,
I simply do not like the closed nature of some of these
meritocracies. Having acquired quite some experience in risk
management over the past year, I find it rather disturbing that
Debian is more or less redundant on the distribution side, but the
actual organisation is not redundant. It's somewhat macabre to
consider accidents and deaths, but in business, you have to deal
with those possibilities in advance or suffer massive hits.

I am on the advisory council of a Germany-based, middle-sized
company with 24 production branches all over the world[0]. For every
key position, we keep a replacement person and part of the job of
someone holding a key position is to continuously keep the
replacement up to speed. In case of an accident, the company will
not loose significant time before moving forward again at old pace.
I know of large companies where even the replacements have
replacements. Such is the way it works.

Debian is not comparable to a middle-sized company in size or
strategy, but the global and decentral nature of the project, IMHO,
call for the same approach. While some positions are held by groups
anyway, I find it important that the position itself remains not
a mystery to others.

Granted, someone who is willing and capable to dig through the
intricacies will make a good and dedicated occupant of the position
later. But at the same time, that's not the only indicator, and
someone skilled and enthusiastic may be shyed (sp?) away by the
learning curve and lack of assistance.

In addition, Debian is a meritocracy just as much as a company is
a meritocracy. Programmers are programmers because they are good at
programming; accountant are accountants ... and so on. But no matter
how good you are at your job, a company will request periodic
reports from you. While some delegates write a report (only) once
a year (hint, hint), others have never. Thus, they become like those
guys that work in the cellar, the mysterious folks unapproachable by
those whose contributions are equally important to the
company/project.

So yes, meritocracy. But also: we need more information about the
stuff going on in the basement.

0. Yes, I am young. No, I am not on the council because they need
me. Yes, I am on the council because it really interests me.

`. `'`