Description of tasks (was: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

also sprach Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org> [2004.07.13.2140 +0200]:
> Martin, please take appropriate actions. If they say that somebody
> is not skilled enough for the job, do not believe in such a lame
> excuse. (I would also become indispensable if I had never
> documented my work).

We just discussed this stuff on #d-d yesterday and one thing that
popped to my mind is that it's not easy to replace an officer (or
someone with a role) just like that. Disappointing someone makes no
sense without a replacement. The problem I see is twofold: on the
one hand, a lot of people bitch and whine, but very few are actually
willing to step up and take responsibility. And even if someone
would like to apply for a role position, s/he is going to have
a real hard time to judge the extent of the commitment required
because the jobs are sparsely (if at all) documented.

As an example, we were (hypothetically) discussing Manoj's exit from
the project, and I would become secretary. Let's furthermore assume
that I would be willing to be secretary and am responsible enough
and give my best, then my decision to apply for secretary is still
unfounded because I never read a "job description" and thus do not
know how much time/effort/skill is required. Plus, once I would have
replaced Manoj (let's assume against his will), I'd have to learn
all the facets of the job, probably without his assistance. And that
would take a while and I'd potentially harm the project until I get
up to speed.

My point is that I think there should be documents describing the
role positions and their exact extents. Moreover, the keepers of
role positions should be persuaded to extend these job descriptions
with all kinds of resources they have accumulated during their
terms. Such a document must be able to convey the extent of the job
and allow someone with enthusiasm and time to get up to speed in
short time.

Only with such document will Debian have a true democracy. Up till
then, it's closer to a meritocracy (I had to look that up) because
those with roles have built up inertia and can only be replaced with
great difficulties. And in case of an accident, the position may be
very difficult to take over, potentially causing serious harm.

I'd appreciate comments, but hope that you, Martin, agrees, and that
you can get your officers to give it a whirl.

Cheers,

`. `'`