On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:17:43PM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 09:55:53PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 04:50:22PM -0800, D. Starner wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Before it's in Debian, AMD64 is already the fourth most commonly
> > > used architecture according to popularity-contest. There's only
> > > three architectures sold in stores to the average person--ix86,
> > > PowerPC and AMD64. 95% of the packages are already compiled for
> > > AMD64. There is no technical reason not to add it into unstable.
> >
> > Actually, I can get an ARM-based iPaq or similar in far more stores than
> > I can buy an Opteron or Athlon64.  Of course, I'll have to purge it from
> > Windows first, but then again, most systems you buy in a store, except
> > for Mac's, suffer from that problem...
>
> Of course ARM is the most used arch overall, almost all of which is in
> non pc devices. You could probably install Debian on an iPAQ with a
> backpack and cf card, but even those are being phased out now (aiui). A
> regular ARM-based PDA doesn't even have enough memory to install Debian
> base. However, the fact is he was commenting on which archs are the most
> used for Debian, which according to popcon definitely is not arm. The
> arm arch has been around a long time and been supported by Debian for
> several releases and yet still shows only 4 users in popcon.

"There's only three architectures sold in stores to the average person"
is the part I commented on.  Oh, and I don't have popcon installed on my
iPaq; it only delivers mail locally.  And if you really think that
Debian on ARM only has 4 users, think again...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //