Re: unexpected NMUs || buildd queue

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:42:28PM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> > The buildds do not check build-dependencies before they try to build the
> > package. When the buildd maintainer checks the failed buildlog he'll set
> > the respective package to dep-wait.
> > http://people.debian.org/~wouter/wanna-build-states
>
> So if buildd maintainer has put my package on dep-wait queue, then I can
> assume it will be automatically build ones again if dependencies will be
> satisfied?

Yes.

> Or maybe I have to upload it then?

Please, no, by all means not. Trying to fix buildd problems by uploading
a new version of the package is *wrong*:

* A package may be building on a (slower) buildd without you knowing
  about it. The upload of your new source will then automatically kill
  the build, making the problem worse.
* Uploading a package renders it outdated on *all* architectures, not
  just the one that needs fixing. This means it'll have to be rebuilt on
  all our architectures, too, increasing the strain on the buildd
  infrastructure. In itself, that's not a problem; but if we have many
  people behaving that way, we'll need more buildds for no real reason.

Instead, what you should be doing is:
* Check the length of the needs-build queue. If it's "long"[0], the
  problem probably isn't specific to your package. In that case, please
  be patient; the buildd maintainer(s) are most likely working on a
  solution, and unless you're in an exceptional situation, it's unlikely
  that sending a ping to the buildd maintainer(s) is going to get you
  anywhere.
* If the queue isn't long, wait a few days. The package may be building,
  or may be ready to be built. Check the states of the package, check
  the last state change, which can be done on http://buildd.d.o/stats/ ;
  if it takes more than a few days, ping the buildd maintainers.

[0] what's "long" depends on the architecture. Some architectures work
    take a high number of packages off the buildd queue every once in a
    while; as long as the number of packages in needs-build gets down to
    zero every once in a while, that's OK. Other architectures (mostly
    those working with many buildd's, such as m68k) take small amounts
    of packages off the top of the queue; on such an architecture, if
    there are more than a handful of packages at the top, the queue is
    "long".

[...perhaps I should add this to the wanna-build-states page...]

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks