Re: "Fastest Linux of the world", hardware detection, X11 config

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 10:02:27AM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> I do not find auto-detection capability of rh or suse particularly
> better than d-installer one.

I have to second this.

I'm transitioning some of my systems from NetBSD to Debian GNU/Linux. I've
tried all of Red Hat 9, Fedora Core 1 and 2, a very recent SuSE Professional,
and I think Slackware. (I was particularly excited about SuSE after installing
it on a friend's system.) None of them installed properly, ranging from system
lockups during install to lack of support for my networking hardware. Given
that they're all Linux, I was somewhat baffled by this last...

Debian is the only Linux-based OS that's actually run on the "spare"
hardware I've got. Because of this, I've been able to gain sufficient
familiarity with it to be comfortable replacing an infrastructure machine
with Debian, and this will not be the last machine I'll convert in this
fashion. I'm running Sarge/i386, FWIW. Good stuff.

Next up, I need to learn to do Debian packaging, and then see about
rejuvenating POSE[1] for Sarge or, perhaps more likely, Sid.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/stable/otherosfs/pose

--
Mason Loring Bliss     mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us     Cthulhu fhtagn!
https://bliss.dyndns.org/   awake ? sleep : random() & 2 ? dream : sleep;