Re: "Fastest Linux of the world", hardware detection, X11 config

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:00:47PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I just read a news about the fastest Linux of the world
> ("http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/49086"; in german). I don't want
> to discuss the "fastest" but the question remains why Debian doesn't
> have a hardware detection as good as Red Hat or an X11 configuration as
> good as Suse?

With the upcoming sarge release Debian is heading towards being one of
the best distributions wrt. hardware detection. I'm currently at work at
a hardware supplier (Plug: http://www.xinit.com/), who ships systems almost
exclusively running Linux. My experiance shows that there is indeed a
problem getting woody's standard boot-floppies to detect and use the
more recent hardware. However this is what I would expect from running a
stable, matured operating system.

I agree sarge is probably overdue, boohoo, but unlike Fedora/SuSE/...
Debian doesnt have hundreds of people employed to work on the
distribution, people seem to forget that is a voluntary effort. When you
consider this it seems almost awe inspiring that we have managed to
create this.

Customers still ask for woody and I use a modified version of
boot-floppies (i would use d-i, however i think there might be some
issues with it installing stable, i need to check), with an updated
kernel to serve their needs.

Cheers,

Rob
--