Re: Stop the madness!

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 08:11:53AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> I have worked for several commercial organizations where the level of
> hostility and lack of communication equaled or surpassed that in Debian.
> At one of them one of the directors murdered another during a meeting.
>
> However, I was being _paid_ for that work (nonetheless, I eventually
> resigned from those jobs).  Here I just killfile the jerks and the
> flamewars.  I suspect that I am not the only member of Debian who keeps his
> participation to a minimum because of the hostility.

right, killfiling makes debian-devel more readable, but it's not a
solution but another problem. if people can't follow the lists because
the way people talk there is just getting out of control we loose our
most important communication channel. it definitely shouldn't be like
that! i'd rather like to see people develop some more of what we call
"streitkultur" in german, the ability to discuss or argue about things
in a professional way, without insulting others or getting too personal
about it. that includes not being hostile, not getting offended too
easy, staying on topic, not necessarily commenting on everything and so
on...

cu  robert

--
Robert Lemmen                               http://www.semistable.com