Re: Stop the madness!

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:33:34PM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:

> It has been a long time since I could say I was honestly happy with the
> way Debian has been going and almost all of it can be pinned directly on
> the communication skills (or lack thereof) of a few people.

Sorry, but in my little experience this is a common problem in all free
software communities (and in all communities of humans, for what
I saw in the last 37 years). The problem is more present in Debian,
because there are so many people and there are a lot of external and internal
pressures. And people under pressure (above all when they are volunteers)
are not so easy to deal with.

Very few people are Touched by The Hole Spirit Hand (Linus and a few others AFAIK),
and have the capability of mediating and cohordinating work and people in a truly
fantastic way. That's not matter for all. Point.

Surely flaming around and approaching people as I lately saw on this list does
not help. And when communication channels are compromised, they are compromised
for ever. Do not pretend to re-establish plain relationships after, because a lot
of people have not this capability.

A bit of ice blood and capability of being indifferent to flames and
personal offense help a lot. Thinking that people are not perfect and
you too, and probably you are wrong even when you are right
help more. Thinking that ftpmasters are not evils and James Troup
and all other guys do the best they can, help too.

Find solutions, not problems.

Just my 2c

--
Francesco P. Lovergine