Re: gcc-3.4 upload to unstable

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 07:40:37PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> Quite often there is a catch-22 situation where upstream doesn't accept a
> significant patch because it requires more testing than they have time for,
> and distributions don't accept it because the upstream hasn't done so.  Both
> the distributions and the upstream wait for each other and nothing happens.

  That's almost certainly true in this case given the wide number of
 platforms that GCC is released upon.

> Currently Gentoo is the only serious distribution that's doing SSP.

  Adamantix is also using it globally, which I think counts as a
 serious distribution!

> If we get more distributions using it then we get more support,
> testing, and debugging for it and increase the chance of it being
> accepted upstream.

  Agreed.  Enabling it on just a couple of architectures might be
 a good compromise, say x86 only.  Assuming that works out OK then
 alpha, sparc, etc, could be enabled afterwards.

Steve
-