Re: Stop the madness (Re: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:49:48AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>
>> Matt Zimmerman wrote (referring to ftpmasters):
>> >Consider the situation from their perspective.  They have work to do in
>> >order for amd64 to enter the archive.
>> What work?  They haven't stated what it is.  They also appear to have
>> numerous volunteers to do the work, *whatever* it is.  So what's the
>> holdup?  We'd really like to know!
>
> They aren't expected to submit a proposal for anyone's review or approval.
> Neither is anyone else expected to do so for their own Debian
> responsibilities.

Using your words: The proposal has been made by the amd64
team. ftp-master is aked to review (approve, deny or comment) it.

And I certainly expect any volunteer to react in some way to a
proposal or question being raised to him.

>> As everyone knows, being a volunteer is not an excuse for the nasty
>> combination of
>> (a) not doing the work
>> and
>> (b) not letting anyone else do the work
>>
>> Now, ftpmasters may not be doing that combo.  But to an observer who isn't
>> privy to secret knowledge, it can *look* like they are.  Changing that
>> appearance would make an enormous difference.
>
> If what you want is a dialogue with the ftpmasters, then this isn't the

Any communication with ftp-master seems to be a monolog.

> right way to go about it.  If you make disparaging remarks about someone in
> a public forum, it does not encourage them to be more open with you.  If a
> certain person behaves that way toward me consistently, I lose interest in
> what they have to say.  Why would I give them more to complain about?

You are blaming the greenhouse effect for the CO2 emissions.
You have to treat the illness and not the symptoms.

Why not give them something to do or to shut up?

> I don't speak for anyone invoved, but I know the feeling.

MfG
        Goswin