Re: DO NOT REMOVE the lib packages after updates

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 05:12:27PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Matt Zimmerman [Tue, Jul 13 2004, 11:13:15PM]:
>
> > > * Josselin Mouette [Mon, Jul 12 2004, 06:16:01PM]:
> > >
> > > Exactly.
> >
> > It's not sane to do this.
>
> So it is sane to fuckup a dozen of dependent packages that rely on your
> library? Without warnings? I think every library package maintainer should
> realize that it is not only his lib package and maybe the few client
> packages that he is responsible for - he shares the responsibility for the
> state of all packages directly depending on this library.

This is unstable we are talking about.  That's where packages may be broken
in order to accomplish a goal.

Yes, it seems much more sane to me to simply remove the package and force a
transition, than to add complexity by trying to make the old and new
binaries available simultaneously in unstable.

--
 - mdz