Re: DO NOT REMOVE the lib packages after updates

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> On lun, 2004-07-12 at 18:31 +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>> > Except in some rare cases (e.g. libpng), that's a very bad idea.
>>
>> And why? I just showed that it works.
>
> And that it bloats the archive, is a pain to maintain, not speaking of
> the security updates.
> --
>  .''`.           Josselin Mouette        /\./\
> : :' :           josselin.mouette@ens-lyon.org
> `. `'                        joss@debian.org
>   `-  Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom

It only bloats the archive during the transitional period. After all
packages depending on the lib have been recompiled the old package can
be removed.

The longer that period lasts the more important having 2 packages is
since otherwise you would have broken packages for the same amount of
time.

Having two packages also means the new package can go into sarge
without needing all its reverse depends to go at the same time, or not?

As for security updates that's pretty easy. Remove the old lib. You
wouldn't loose anything compared to removing it directly but you keep
packages working as long as there is no security bug.

MfG
        Goswin